Tuesday, January 12, 2016

books read in 2015

It's that time of year, when I move the book list from it's little home on the right side of the blog into it's own little post.


My goal for this year was 40, I reached 27.
It feels a little disappointing, then I figured that I read at least 1 book every 2 weeks.
I think that's pretty decent!!

Some of the front runners of this past year were:

Stern Men
Unbroken
The Martian
Why Not Me?

I've also gotten myself into a few new series that I love and now I have to wait for the next book to be released:

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place by Marywood Rose
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
The Dr. Thomas Silkstone Series by Tessa Harris

Here is the list in it's entirety:

1-Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
2-A Beautiful Mess Happy Handmade Home
3-Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
4-Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
5-Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
6-The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Unseen Guest
7-The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Interrupted Tale
8-The $50 Home Makeover
9-Fahrenheit 451
10-The Devil's Breath
11-Yes Please
12-The Lazarus Curse
13-Flight Behavior
14-Stern Men
15-Gone Girl
16-The Boy Who Lost Fairyland
17-Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
18-The Shadow of the Raven
19-A Little Princess
20-Orphan Train
21-The Martian
22-The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Unmapped Sea
23-What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
24-The Mysterious Benedict Society
25-Why Not Me?
26-A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future: Twists and Turns and Lessons Learned
27-Solo: A Memoir of Hope

Some real disappointments on the list included:

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - this one was an okay read, but something that just rubbed me the wrong way, was the author continuously mentions that "at least I never walked", to the point that he wanted to put it on his tombstone when he died. I felt that this was a complete missing the point of running as well as alienating a whole gigantic group of runners who are just starting or are using the 10min/1min way to run. 

Solo: A Memoir of Hope - I was just telling Thom that when I first picked this book to read, I thought it was about a girl who sailed a boat solo (I have no idea why!). I started to read it, and then when I mentioned it to some friends, they said "oh, Hope Solo, she's the soccer player from last summer". Hmmm? Apparently, when I pick books, I have no idea what they are actually about, and I also lived under a rock during the Women's World Cup.  So, once I knew about the semi-scandal involving Solo and read a few other articles, it changed the way I perceived this book. Obviously all biographies are biased to the person writing it, but the last half of the book felt a little phony.

This year, I'm aiming for 40 again (I've done it before right?!)


No comments: