Tuesday, February 09, 2010

an exerpt from my book reflection

Hello all!
So as promised, here is a tidbit of my reflection on Bill Johnson's book, Strengthen Yourself in the Lord: How to Release the Hidden Power of God in Your Life.

I really enjoyed this book. It was not necessarily filled with ground breaking revelation, but it did have simple truths to accompany revelation some things that I have learned throughout this year already.

The point he made that I was most struck by, was how we are to receive the Word of God and the promises that he speaks over our lives. I learned that when I hear the promises that God speaks, I need to hang on to them no matter what the circumstances.

David is used as an example throughout this book. As Johnson puts it “David did not assume the throne until 10-13 years after Samuel had anointed him...in those interim years, David endured more difficulty, persecution, and rejection than many of us face in a lifetime. He probably didn’t expect it to take so long to become king” (Johnson p 18). From David’s life we see how we are to hold to God’s promises over our lives. David could have called it all off after having to flee Saul in the middle of the night, forced out of the palace where he had previously lived comfortably. David might have thought that Samuel had it all wrong, that he was not the “right” one to be king, but David continued to believe God’s word over his life. There have been words spoken over my life and the things that were going on around me did not always seem to match up with what was spoken. Johnson also noted that sometimes we are taken into a wilderness, just as Jesus was led into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit. We are proving to God that we will remain faithful to him, no matter what the circumstances and that we trust Him to make good on His Word.


I definitely recommend this book, it was very helpful and good reminder as well as a quick read... which is good right now as I have many readings to do before I am done school in April. And I am definitely behind!


No comments: